Re: Proposed Design Principles

On 28 Mar 2007, at 21:44, T.V Raman wrote:

> For the architectural overview, one issue to add is
> how things behave at the intersection of the XML and HTML Web.
>
> As a specific example,  we need to address what should happen
> when HTML content is brought into XML vocabularies like RSS and
> ATOM --- the present situation is extremely messy.

IIn the case of XHTML, what meaning data in an external namespace has
is an issue to be defined in the RSS and Atom specifications (to
continue to use your example).

In the case of HTML, Atom says it SHOULD be valid directly within a
div element. How error handling of <head> elements effects such
things is unclear.

On 1 Apr 2007, at 00:42, Asbjørn Ulsberg wrote:
> However, since (X)HTML isn't designed to be included in other
> languages, it's a bit awkward since one can't begin to describe
> "valid" content in such contexts, since a DTD is missing and the
> only content present in an <atom:content> element is what you can
> put inside a (X)HTML <body> element.

For XHTML the content of the text construct MUST be a single XHTML
div element, and for HTML it SHOULD be valid directly within a div
element. The fact that HTML is only a SHOULD implies you can have a
complete HTML document within the text construct, although the
behaviour is undefined.

As for it being valid, the conditions within the specifications
imply: there is more to validity than a DTD. HTML currently doesn't
define fragments. The fact we don't know whether we should treat HTML
content as the contents of a div element makes it further hard to
determine whether something is valid.

Alas, I hope this all makes sense, it's almost 1am and I'm drop dead
tired.

- Geoffrey Sneddon