Adding attributes to elements Generically (was Let every element have a src attribute)

Lachlan Hunt wrote:

> Dao Gottwald wrote:
>> .... which seems very plausible to me. Contrary to letting every
>> element have a href attribute, it's backwards-compatible by design.
>> Are there any plans to inherit [src on every element] from the XHTML2
>> working draft?
> No.  Several implementers have already stated that overloading
> elements like that would be extremely difficult to implement.  They
> already have enough trouble with implementing <object> interoperably,
> let's not extend those problems to every other element too.
>
> These are some of the basic reasons:
>
> 1. annoying to implement
> 2. bad semanticly
> 3. lack of img-specific API / attributes, presence of non-image API
> 4. results on active elements like <input type="checkbox"> are bizzare
> 5. conflates presentational technique of image replacement with
> semantically meaningful content images

Since I've had experience being told "No" when I've asked for attributes
to be added to elements to facilitate semantic markup, I'd like to ask
if this list is specific to hyperlink or more general in nature. And if
the latter, I'd really like to hear an elaboration as to why for #1 and
#2 along with more elaboration.

Thanks in advance.

--
-Mike Schinkel