Re: Preparing to launch the Forms Task Force ...

James Graham schreef:
>> What I like about role (or class or whatever) is that the section is
>> explicit. A section is an important structural document element, and
>> I shouldn’t have to create rules like
>> section|nav|header|footer|aside|article to match all different types
>> of sections, or determine their heading levels, etc. It gets worse
>> when you add in that you also have to match h1|h2|h3|h4|h5|h6 because
>> sections may contain headers of any rank. But that only applies to
>> sections, and not to the other five section types, so apparantly they
>> are second-rank citizens.
>>
>> That is why I’m very much in favour of <section> and <h>. Retain
>> <h1>...<h6> for backwards compatibility where necessary. And skip
>> that whole HUUUGE section on the exact semantics of implicit sections
>> with the latter. Which is of course pretty much what XHTML2 did.
>
> That really doesn't work. You can't just ignore the problem of
> defining how any new heading model works with the old heading model*
> (or you can but you end up with a crappy spec that can't be
> implemented interoperably). If you're looking to understand why the
> WHATWG heading model looks the way it does the main threads (IIRC) in
> which the model was developed are [1] and [2].

My point of view is that <h1>...<h6> do not imply any kind of sectioning
at all, they only specify headings, and the section that follows is
implicit. The WHATWG complicates matters by pretending that they do, and
dedicating a huge section to it too.

However, I don’t see how it can do this, as text from a level-1 section
that continues after a level-2 section will be classified incorrectly to
be in the level-2 section. Instead of just not being classified into
sections at all, *because the original document did not provide that
information*!

And even if you would want to specify it. I mean, it’s *really* obvious.
“Each heading starts a new section according to their level, which lasts
until the next heading or the end of the document”. There, put that
phrase in the spec instead of that whole chapter. There is no need to be
overly meticulous about it, like WHATWG spec section 3.8.11.1. “Creating
an outline”.

~Grauw