Re: Brainstorming - abbreviations

I can't speak to Robert's understanding, but I believe that the two
are semantically distinct. They both reduce words, but one is a
shortening of a single word, while the other is a concatenation of
parts of several words to stand for a longer phrase.

A use case for the semantic difference is writing an application to
find all the acronyms in a document and replace them with their
called-out equivalents. With <acronym> this is easy. With only <abbr>
I have to determine whether or not the content looks like an acronym
so I'm not calling out Mr. or Mrs. by mistake.

If you're going to drop one, I suggest <abbr>, as I have seen far
fewer cases of people actually marking up an abbreviation than an
acronym, and far more novel acronyms are used in writing than novel
abbreviations that would need explaining.

--
Sandy Smith, Manager of Technical Development
Forum One Communications, Inc.