Re: the market hasn't spoken - it hasn't bothered to listened [was Re: fear of "invisible metadata"]

On Wed, 27 Jun 2007 21:29:12 +0200, Aaron Leventhal <aaronlev@moonset.net>
wrote:

> Yes, you can actually do things like <span role="wairole:menuitem"> or

Oh. That's great. It makes it a lot simpler to allow in HTML -- we simply
drop the namespaces altogether and use naming conventions. This is exactly
why I expected reverse engineering to have to take place -- the
implementation is not 1:1 per spec. :-)

Given this information, I don't see why there is a scripted solution that
jumps through hoops when it works without it.

> We haven't told the world about that since it's not really legal syntax,
> but we allow it. If HTML 5 legalized it, that would be great.

Indeed.

> Unfortunately you can only use XHTML and wairole with it this way -- the
> "wairole" prefix is accepted to mean the standard WAI-ARIA roles,
> without needing an xmlns which wouldn't have been possible.

I guess we could have a fixed set of keywords.

> For me, reverse engineering means playing detective and spending a lot
> of time on frustrating little issues. Hopefully that would be minimal,
> and any implementors would instead get most of what they need out of the
> information I'm more than willing to share about the Firefox
> implementation. I do think running both automated and end-user tests and
> comparing output would be a useful way to harmonize implementations.

Great.

--
Simon Pieters
Opera Software