Re: the market hasn't spoken - it hasn't bothered to listened [was Re: fear of "invisible metadata"]

Yes, you can actually do things like <span role="wairole:menuitem"> or

We haven't told the world about that since it's not really legal syntax,
but we allow it. If HTML 5 legalized it, that would be great.
Unfortunately you can only use XHTML and wairole with it this way -- the
"wairole" prefix is accepted to mean the standard WAI-ARIA roles,
without needing an xmlns which wouldn't have been possible.

For me, reverse engineering means playing detective and spending a lot
of time on frustrating little issues. Hopefully that would be minimal,
and any implementors would instead get most of what they need out of the
information I'm more than willing to share about the Firefox
implementation. I do think running both automated and end-user tests and
comparing output would be a useful way to harmonize implementations.

- Aaron