Re: Raising issues in a way that the editors will pay attention to them

On 1 Jun 2007, at 02:40, Ian Hickson wrote:

>  * Include links to relevant research on the wiki page. That could be:
>
>     * Links to pages that are working around the lack of the
> feature being
>       proposed.
>
>     * Surveys (even of a few dozen sites) showing authoring
> practices, so
>       that we can determine authoring patterns around the topic. (I
> might
>       take such surveys to greater lengths if possible and useful by
>       running similar types of scans at Google.)
>
>     * Test cases showing what existing browsers do.
>
>    Making proposals with no research is another good way to lose
>    credibility fast.

This requirement conforms very well to design principles such as
"Support Existing Content", "Don't Reinvent The Wheel", "Pave The
Cowpaths" etc. However, it effectively blocks out *novel* proposals
that may be related to principles such as "Solve Real Problems",
"Media Independence", "Universal Access" etc. Do we really need to be
this conservative?

--
Henrik