Re: User Testing of Accessiblity Features

So why put useless stuff on the page in the first place?  If it is there it
should be useful, if it is useful, we need to know it is there.

----- Original Message -----
From: "Tighe K. Lory" <tkl02@health.state.ny.us>
To: "Olivier GENDRIN" <olivier.gendrin@gmail.com>
Cc: "Alastair Campbell" <ac@nomensa.com>; "HTML WG" <public-html@w3.org>;
"WAI Interest Group list" <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>
Sent: Thursday, August 30, 2007 9:22 AM
Subject: Re: User Testing of Accessiblity Features

> And my colleague Léonie would argue that if the image conveys something
(even "just" emotive), then she would like to know it's there and what it
is supposed to represent.

> That demonstrates the hard-core usability vs holistic experience divide
quite nicely.

Maybe we should think of this in the reverse. For example, if a designer
were to use aural stylesheets to give different voices to various parts of
a page -- should there be an alternative for those not using a screen
reader?   I would say yes, in most cases a designer would use a different
font face/size.  But the designer wouldn't put a notice on the page to
non-screenreader users that different voices are being used.  I think the
same could be done for background images that are just eye candy.  A
similar emotive feeling could be expressed in a different way then just
putting alt text on the page.  It is harsh to the way the page is read, and
gets in the way when the informative value is questionable.  It reminds me
of a point one of my former colleagues made in regards to the differences
between print and Web media.  He would say that they are different, and you
can't just take a print publication and dump it on a Web page and expect it
to be effective.  Our jobs as Web developers is to convey important
information to users, not document every visual/aural design choice on a
page, that is not what the user wants or needs.  I believe that
accessibility and usability must be considered together when designing,
What is the point of a accessible page that is completely unusable?

             "Olivier GENDRIN"
             <olivier.gendrin@
             gmail.com>                                                 To
                                       "Alastair Campbell"
             08/30/2007 06:45          <ac@nomensa.com>
                                       "Tighe K. Lory"
                                       <tkl02@health.state.ny.us>, "WAI
                                       Interest Group list"
                                       <w3c-wai-ig@w3.org>, "HTML WG"
                                       <public-html@w3.org>
                                                                   Subject

On 8/30/07, Alastair Campbell <ac@nomensa.com> wrote:

> Tighe K. Lory wrote:
> > An example would be a stockphoto of a person ...
> > Putting in alt text would just clutter up what the screen reader says,
and
> > I think make the site less useable.
>
> And my colleague Léonie would argue that if the image conveys something
(even "just" emotive), then she would like to know it's there and what it
is supposed to represent.

> That demonstrates the hard-core usability vs holistic experience divide
quite nicely.

I strongly opposed to that, because if you began to explain
illustrative images (which generaly convey emotive, or mood
informations), you will also have to explain the graphical choises of
the website, because a website that uses sharp lines has not the same
emotive  sense that a website that uses round corners...

So it leads directly to have alt even on CSS background images,
because of emotion...

--
Olivier G.
http://www.lespacedunmatin.info/blog/

IMPORTANT NOTICE:  This e-mail and any attachments may contain confidential
or sensitive information which is, or may be, legally privileged or
otherwise protected by law from further disclosure.  It is intended only for
the addressee.  If you received this in error or from someone who was not
authorized to send it to you, please do not distribute, copy or use it or
any attachments.  Please notify the sender immediately by reply e-mail and
delete this from your system. Thank you for your cooperation.