Re: Alt Text for A Key Part of the Content

Ben Boyle wrote:

> There's plenty of good advice out there. I read this article soday
> that seems particularly good:
> http://www.alistapart.com/articles/revivinganorexicwebwriting
>
> For example:
> [quote]
> Given a photograph of the University of Texas tower, for example,
> simple alt text that says, "UT tower" might not be terribly useful to
> someone who has never seen the tower, though it may be useful to
> someone who knows what the tower looks like. But alt text that says,
> "Evening view of UT tower aglow after a big Texas win" is better,
> because it is meaningful to anyone, sighted or not—it projects pride,
> kinship, tradition. It conveys very particular emotions using
> revealing language.
> [/quote]
>
> cheers
> Ben

Actually, it's not ("meaningful to anyone", that is).  "UT" is
completely meaningless to much of the world, and possibly
even to one or two (rather isolated) citizens of Texas.  Abbreviations
such as "UT", unless /genuinely/ "universally understood"
are better expressed in full, or at least glossed on their
first usage.

Philip TAYLOR