Re: [HDP] Response to Review of HTML Design Principles Questionnaire

At 04:22 +0200 UTC, on 2007-08-23, Leif Halvard Silli wrote:

> 2007-08-22 16:57:30 +0200 Lachlan Hunt:
>
>> 2. Support Existing Content
>
>> This principle is essential. [...]
>
>> It really doesn't matter whether a particular feature was defined in HTML4,
>> XHTML1 or not defined at all [...]  If there is significant existing content
>> on the web that relies on particular user agent behaviour, then that
>> behaviour should be specified [...]
>
> Take note, Laura and others: According to this interpretation, many of
>those you that have sofar voted strongly for this principle, are probably
>actually against it!

FWIW, I don't know if it's useful to be for or against a Design Principle
based upon someone's interpretation of it. I realise it's confusing, because
many have 'explained' Desing Principles by giving some interpretation, but
that's only that interpretation. It doesn't mean the Design Principle cannot
be interpreted differently. The questionaire asks us for our opinion of the
Design Principles, not for our opinion of some interpretation of the Design
Principles.

I for one do agree with this Design Principle. I interpret it as saying that
we should do our best to not change HTML such that current websites stop
working in HTML5 UAs (which would result in users sticking with old UAs
instead of upgrade), or that it would become so difficult for authors to
upgrade their sites to HTML5 that they won't bother -- which would result in
them not making use of the good things HTML5 has to offer and we want them to
use.

But again, that's just my interpretation :)

It seems to be a general problem with the Design Principles: they can be
interpreted in many ways, and they can all be overruled by each other. I
wonder how useful they can really be, but I see no problem with such Design
Principles[*]. While filling out the questionaire, I realised that I mostly
have problems with the ones that *do* limit room for interpretation. Ain't
that something....

--
Sander Tekelenburg