Re: abbreviation exposition and pronunciation

H Karl (et al),

On Aug 19, 2007, at 5:48 PM, Karl Dubost wrote:

> Matthew Raymond (19 août 2007 - 17:09) :
>> | <acronym title="[...]">XHTML</abbr>TM
>>
>>    Not to mention that "TM" is itself an abbreviation, and should be
>> marked up as such.
>
> and a character in Unicode.: ™
> I wonder how screen readers handle the Trademark character?
> Someone could test?

Voiceover just read it as "trademark sign". However, when I placed
the &trade; character entity reference into an HTML file and loaded
in Safari it said "trademark symbol" for some strange reason (the
character entity reference &trade; is supposed to map to the same
Unicode character).

One concern I have about this however, is that in some Unicode
circles, the concept of canonical and compatibility decomposition is
overly promoted. With the compatibility decomposition, the view is
that something like this ™ should be better authored as T + M + using
superscript and other formatting outside the scope of Unicode.  In
general, I think the concepts of canonical and compatibility
decomposition are ill-conceived. Recently Unicode has begun a better
approach through a new generalized "character folding" algorithm[1].

To me this should replace most every concept of canonical and
compatibility decompositions. Authors/users will never understand the
intricacies of the Unicode standard  (nor the confusion that leaks
out of those standards due to the various lingering disagreements)
sufficiently to be able to know not to use characters that could be
come unified through misguided applications using canonical and
compatibility decomposition mappings (especially for singleton
characters). Consider the example of an author using roman numerals
for historical documentation. A renegade application might carelessly
translate the roman numerals to the Latin letters sharing similar
glyphs: thus eliminated actual semantic distinctions. There is
therefore a risk of lossful data handling if application developers
or spec writers treat canonical mappings as indistinguishable. If
authors use different characters, then they often meant to use
different characters.

Also for many of the compatibility decomposition mappings, the
standard again is ambivalent: struggling internally between two
disparate approaches (composition and decomposition). This
ambivalence leads to ambiguity in how to use characters. Though I
would say that the compatibility decomposable characters located in
the compatibility decomposition area (U+F900 – U+FFFE) of the Basic
Multilingual Plane (BMP) are properly discouraged (not quite
deprecated in Unicode lingo) and prohibited from XML NCNames too.

So back to the ™ grapheme.  The trademark symbol falls in the symbol
area of the BMP.  In its cooperation with ISO, Unicode found itself
assigning all sorts of code points to symbol characters, but one gets
the feeling, that's not what Unicode wanted to be doing. Instead it
wanted to provide a good mapping of all of the World's writing
systems  within the BMP. Instead 10s of thousands of characters were
included in the BMPs 65,000 capacity that were simply there for
compatibility or other reasons other than the World's writing
systems. Unicode seems to be somewhat concerned at the virtually
boundless number of symbols that could be encoded compared to the
fairly bounded number of characters needed for the World's writing
systems. In my view however, I think symbols like ™ are important
enough to deserve their own code point in Unicode. The ™ symbol could
even receive language specific presentational glyphs if necessary,
though remaining semantically the same character. While the BMP
includes over 3,000 symbols, Unicode could easily afford to devote an
entire Supplementary Symbolic Plane of 65,000 characters to just
symbols. That would probably meet much of the World's symbolic needs.

Sorry for the tangential email. A few points to consider fro HTML5
though. 1) Stay away from the compatibility area for our NCNames :-)
(OK there probably wasn't a danger of that). 2) Be wary of those
pushing canonical and compatibility decompositions: especially for
singleton characters outside the compatibility area, but also for
compatibility decompositions like ™ -> T + M + formatting. Discussion
like this have surfaced from time to time surrounding HTML.

Take care,
Rob

[1]: <http://www.unicode.org/reports/tr30/>