Re: authoring @lang and @dir (was 3.6. The root element)

On Aug 2, 2007, at 2:51 PM, Robert Burns wrote:

> HI Richard,
>
> Thanks for the information on this.
>
> On Aug 2, 2007, at 7:16 AM, Richard Ishida wrote:

Just to follow up on this issue of the distinction between the @dir
attribute and the BDO element, I put together an example where the
@dir is significant at the phrase level. A couple of things are
apparent from this example. First, the suggestion Maciej made that
@dir only applies to neutral Unicode characters is not correct. In
the attached example, the only neutrals are the space characters. The
@dir attribute basically specified whether this is a run that should
be treated as a Latin run with some Arabic (ltr) or whether this is
an Arabic run that should be treated as Latin (rtl).  The rtl, is
really the way it should probably be marked up. Except the Unicode
page[1] that I borrowed this from wanted to present several
languages, one after the other, and all ending with "in <<Language x>>".

Second, the distinction I made between @dir that should apply at the
structural/block level, and BDO that should apply at the phrase/
inline level is the wrong way to put it. Instead, I would say that
the @dir attribute applies to an outer level of embedding for a
phrase (though not necessarily the outermost level of embedding at
the paragraph line-break level), whereas I think the BDO element is
only needed in very rare cases. I think adding the values 'rlo' and
'lro' as global attributes makes them available in all sorts of
places they're just not needed. You might say that having an entire
element just for bidirectional overrides also places a big importance
on it, but it's an element that most people can ignore and need never
concern themselves with it. Even for Hebrew and Arabic the rare
instances where the BDO is needed have got to be quite scarce indeed
(the examples I've seen related to part numbers that mix Arabic and
other scripts in peculiar ways). I think we should make it clear how
rare the need for the BDO element is, so authors don't needless try
to use it.

Take care,
Rob

[1]: <http://www.unicode.org/standard/WhatIsUnicode.html>