Re: Data Table Collections (Research)

On Mon, 6 Aug 2007, Ben 'Cerbera' Millard wrote:

> In a response to earlier research into data tables [1], Ian Hickson
> wrote:
> > Hey, it's the HTML4 example again. It's almost as if headers="" was so
> > complicated to understand that the people suggesting its use couldn't
> > come up with their own examples! ;-)
>
> And:
> > (Hey look, the HTML4 example again.)
>
> This made me think using examples from W3C documents was unacceptable?

In general I recommend against studying example pages (such as those from
the HTML4 spec) as they are usually artificial and designed to show
specific things rather than representative of the needs of authors. Real
pages (such as the QA matrix) are a fine source, though, even if they're
created by W3C staff or other W3C-affiliated persons (such as us).

The data table collections stuff is quite interesting, by the way. I look
forward to studying it closer.