RE: The argument for |bugmode|

At 14:03 -0700 UTC, on 2007-04-19, Chris Wilson wrote:

[...]

> We will have our own proprietary, non-invalidating opt-in switch to "really
>standards as of IEn" mode.

Do you agree with my earlier analysis[*] that a proprietary switch would make
it much harder for authors to produce conforming web pages? If so, can you
explain why this should be acceptable?

[*] <http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-html/2007Apr/1203.html>

>  (If there are no breaking changes, we don't need to worry about this.
>That is unlikely to happen for quite a while.)

I can't follow. "breaking changes" in what? "worry" by whom about what?

> I want the HTML spec to have version - e.g. in DOCTYPE - because I 1) think
>it's insane to build a format with no version identifier, and 2) will
>opportunistically use this to automatically turn on any future opt-ins when
>such a version identifier becomes popular.

I'm afraid I cannot follow this either. Could you elaborate please? (Not just
for me. I get the impression that your standpoint isn't clear to quite a few
people. If it would become clear to more people there'd be a better chance we
can work towards a solution, instead of proposing solutions based on
misunderstanding of the situation.)

--
Sander Tekelenburg