Re: [dxwg] [I18N] References to ISO-639 vs. BCP47 (#959)

From: aisaac via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 02 Jul 2019 14:39:16 +0000
To: public-dxwg-wg@w3.org
I find this quite puzzling actually and went below my radar while I should have perhaps flagged it earlier... Some comments that could have an impact on discussion here:
- the reference to LC's URIs doesn't come from DCMI, see http://purl.org/dc/terms/language
- DCMI is going to soften its stance of range, i.e. (among others) dct:language's range will "include" LinguisticSystem but this will not rule out other types of resource, which includes strings (like the regular, old-fashioned tags, perhaps with subtags)
- I am not sure that we should be so focused on LoC's URIs in our recommendations. As @makxdekkers suggests there are plenty other resources like Wikidata that could provide with suitable URIs. Has there been a decision to not recommend them?

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/959#issuecomment-507707074 using your GitHub account