Re: [dxwg] [I18N] References to ISO-639 vs. BCP47 (#959)

From: aisaac via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 03 Jul 2019 13:54:14 +0000
To: public-dxwg-wg@w3.org
@makxdekkers thanks for the clarification. GLD is not DCMI indeed. I can agree with the fact that LoC's URIs are probably the best around for ISO codes, but am still a bit unsure about making a strong recommendation for something that would capture only a part of the multilinguality needs (especially, no subtags). We could still leave the door open to BCP47.

Note that's also a problem we have for Europeana: we would like to normalize languages to URIs, and we were looking especially at the NAL from the European Commission (for example http://publications.europa.eu/resource/authority/language/FRA). But that would have implied losing all the subtags (which is something we've realized only quite recently, in fact, see https://europeana.atlassian.net/browse/RD-64), so for the moment we normalize to BCP47.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/959#issuecomment-508103066 using your GitHub account