Re: [dxwg] [I18N] References to ISO-639 vs. BCP47 (#959)

From: David Browning via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Wed, 24 Jul 2019 13:45:26 +0000
To: public-dxwg-wg@w3.org

Thanks for the useful input, and interesting discussions.

The DCAT editing group have discussed this issue at some length and our consensus view is that now is not the best time to change the DCAT position (as in DCAT 2014) ahead of DCMI softening its stance on ranges.  We’d hope that this could be re-visited as part of a future revision that could take account of any such changes, and at that point we'd look at exploiting approaches such as those suggested by @smrgeoinfo as well as any others that are applicable.

The broader point in this thread – that flexibility for data providers often incurs costs for data consumers – is something that we’d like to address (perhaps in a primer document or some further examples) when we have time/people to do this.

To make sure we don't forget this, this issue will remain open, but taged to 'DCAT Future Work" so it can be picked up in future revisions.

--
GitHub Notification of comment by davebrowning
Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/959#issuecomment-514638651 using your GitHub account