Re: [dxwg] [I18N] References to ISO-639 vs. BCP47 (#959)

From: aisaac via GitHub <sysbot+gh@w3.org>
Date: Tue, 09 Jul 2019 14:46:36 +0000
To: public-dxwg-wg@w3.org
@makxdekkers We should forget the limitation of dct:language in the base DCMI namespace. This is going to be lifted very soon. Then there will remain a *soft* recommendation to use URIs for LinguisticSystems. And examples including ISO 639-2 and 639-5 from Library of Congress, but also BCP46 including subtags. So it will still be rather open to using subtags for scripts and other variants.

I agree that most cases will focus on simple tags, but there are for sure cases (as in academic research) where finer-grained info is relevant.

I guess I don't mind giving prominent mention to the simple codes (and the URIs that represent them) but it would be good to be not too exclusive - which I guess brings us back to the original comment.

Please view or discuss this issue at https://github.com/w3c/dxwg/issues/959#issuecomment-509673104 using your GitHub account