Re: Live DWBP Use Case: eboladata.org

My take on this...

Things like the ebloadata.org site and the UK Flood Hack that Hadley
helped run earlier this year are examples of efforts to make relevant
data available to handle a specific and, hopefully, short term issue
(the UK floods have drained away, Ebola rates are falling in Liberia
thankfully).

Things like whether the DKAN instance uses DCAT or not (this one does
use DCAT), whether the values of the terms are useful or not are already
well covered by existing use cases. There is nothing new in this use
case from that perspective.

My assumption from a quick look is that the very low quality of the
metadata provided on eboladata.org is a symptom of the speed with which
it was put together (check out
http://eboladata.org/dataset/worldwide-flights for example - the
metadata is close to useless and what little there is contradicts
itself). 2 of the 7 'datasets' are Web pages etc.

My question is: does the speedy establishment of things like
eboladata.org present new challenges? If so, that's a new use case with
new requirements. But it might be that:

- this was done in a hurry with no time to take care of some of the
details (in which case one can hope that the site will be improved over
time);
- it was put together for a single hackathon event in which case the
metadata quality probably doesn't matter tuppence.

HTH

Phil.

--

Phil Archer