Re: A simpler proposal for reporting SHACL results - ISSUE-51

Quickly getting back to the topic of whether we need severity levels, we
have an approved requirement captured as R10.1

http://www.w3.org/TR/2015/WD-shacl-ucr-20150414/#requirements-1

/"The language should allow the creation of error responses that can
include severity levels as desired."/

So I believe the simplification proposed by Peter takes it a bit too far.

Whether these severity levels also need to be extensible so that users
can add their own ones is indeed questionable, and I can see arguments
going both ways.

Minus: Complicates the spec and learning curve
Plus: Provides more flexibility
Minus: Requires looking at shapes graph, including tracking back to its
original definition when shared online
Plus: The ordering (Info < Warning < Error) needs to be specified
anyway, so we could just as well generalize it.

A work-around to the first "Plus" is to attach this extra information to
the sh:Shape and sh:Constraint objects themselves. For example

ex:MyShape
     a sh:Shape ;
     sh:property ex:MyPropertyConstraint .

ex:MyPropertyConstraint
     a sh:PropertyConstraint ;
     sh:predicate ex:property ;
     sh:minCount 1 ;
     sh:severity sh:Info ;
     ex:myLocalSeverity ex:DebuggingInfo .

Each result node can have sh:sourceShape and sh:sourceConstraint, e.g.

ex:Violation_0198_2838_773
     a sh:Info ; ...
     sh:sourceConstraint ex:MyPropertyConstraint .

which makes it possible to collect additional application-specific
information by following the links. In addition to severity, I can
imagine some people may want to track authorship of the constraints.

With this work-around, my preference is now to leave it simple and only
include sh:Info, sh:Warning and sh:Error, and nothing else (assuming we
create a separate mechanism for the exceptions previously captured by
sh:FatalError).

Holger

     ]