Re: 54 new tests submitted in section 3.1

Le 2014-12-25 10:27, 塩澤 元 a écrit :
> Hi Gérard,
>
> I have reviewed the following test.
>  - block-flow-direction-001.xht ~ block-flow-direction-022.xht
>  - line-box-direction-001.xht ~ line-box-direction-020.xht
>
> Here is comments for these test.
>
> 1.
> Some test-cases specify another specification's ref-file
> (/css-multicol-1/multicol-count-002-ref.xht) as its ref-file.
> I think that it is better to make a new ref-file (or copy) in
> css-writing-modes-3 directory.

Hajime,

We discussed this in
http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/public-css-testsuite/2014Nov/0039.html

I think we eventually should filename-rename
multicol-count-002-ref.xht
as
ref-yellow-PASS-on-black.xht
or some filename like that and then move that file into
http://test.csswg.org/source/css21/reference/
with other frequently reused reference files.

> 2.
> All test-case uses 'yellow' and 'black' color.
> I think that it is better to use 'green' and 'blue' because these makes
> positive impression.

Ideally, you want to use green color and restrict using green color if
and only if red indicates failure. Green color should be restricted in
tests where failures will be indicated by red color.

"
Green

In the absence of any red, green indicates success.
"
http://testthewebforward.org/docs/test-style-guidelines.html#color

"
There is no need to list common incidental features like the color green
if it is being used to validate the test unless the case is specifically
testing the color green
"
http://testthewebforward.org/docs/css-metadata.html#specification-links

"
Since green-with-no-red is often used to indicate success, it's best to
also avoid green unless using the presence of red to indicate failures.
"
https://wiki.csswg.org/test/format#design-requirements (old
documentation)

This is what I did in

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css-multicol-1_dev/nightly-unstable/html4/multicol-rule-percent-001.htm

and in

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css-multicol-1_dev/nightly-unstable/html4/multicol-containing-002.htm

with

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css-multicol-1_dev/nightly-unstable/html4/reference/multicol-containing-002-ref.htm

Also, if some layout test renders the word "PASS", then you want to use
a light color along with a dark color. Green and blue are both rather
dark colors.

With more thinking about this issue, now I think I could have created a
black "PASS" rendered layout instead...

Anything that simplifies the task of testers (people taking the tests)
is, as a general rule, welcomed, better, more desirable: so, 1 color is
better than 2 colors.

> 3.
> I think that it is better to add information to title in some
> test-case.
>
> - block-flow-direction-005.xht, block-flow-direction-006.xht
> before: CSS Writing Modes Test: float and 'vertical-rl' - block flow
> direction of block-level boxes
> after: CSS Writing Modes Test: float*-left* and 'vertical-rl' - block
> flow
> direction of block-level boxes
>
> - block-flow-direction-007.xht, block-flow-direction-007.xht
> before: CSS Writing Modes Test: float and 'vertical-lr' - block flow
> direction of block-level boxes
> after: CSS Writing Modes Test: float*-right* and 'vertical-lr' - block
> flow
> direction of block-level boxes
>
> - line-box-direction-005.xht, line-box-direction-006.xht
> before: CSS Writing Modes Test: float and 'vertical-rl' - ordering
> direction of line boxes
> after: CSS Writing Modes Test: float*-left* and 'vertical-rl' -
> ordering
> direction of line boxes
>
> - line-box-direction-007.xht, line-box-direction-008.xht
> before: CSS Writing Modes Test: float and 'vertical-lr' - ordering
> direction of line boxes
> after: CSS Writing Modes Test: float*-right* and 'vertical-lr' -
> ordering
> direction of line boxes

I am not sure why specifying the float value is or would be important in
the title. The float value is specified in the assert text and in the
code. Normally, we want title text to be as short as possible while at
the same time to be descriptive.

"
The title is descriptive but not too wordy.
"
http://testthewebforward.org/docs/review-checklist.html#reftests-only

"
The title appears in the generated index, so make sure it is concise,
unique and descriptive. The role of the title is to identify what
specific detail of a feature or combination of features is being tested,
so that someone looking through an index can see quickly what's tested
in which file. In most cases, this description should not require more
than 5 or 6 words. There is no need to provide the chapter or section in
the title.
"
https://wiki.csswg.org/test/format#title-element

By the way, I use 'float: left' with 'vertical-rl' and 'float: right'
with 'vertical-lr'; in order to make a test suite coverage more complete
and thorough, we probably should test both float values for each
vertical writing-mode values ...

Anyway, I will add the float value in the title, as you suggested.

> 4.
> There is not line-box-direction-*004*.xht. Why is this missing?

In my mind, when testing 'writing-mode', I would do all and each
'writing-mode' values in the order they are listed in the spec:
horizontal-tb, vertical-rl, vertical-lr, (default or initial) and
inherit. Now, testing 'writing-mode: horizontal-tb' does not make much
sense. IE5 and NS4 could and would pass those tests, you see. And
testing default or initial values is impossible to test. Many
(otherwise, all) tests we did in CSS2.1 about initial and default
property values were not useful. So, there is no
line-box-direction-*004*.xht because there is no test about default,
initial 'writing-mode' value. I could remove
block-flow-direction-004.xht
for the same reasons given here. I could also remove
line-box-direction-001.xht
and
block-flow-direction-001.xht
because bad browsers, old browsers, buggy browsers are most likely going
to pass these tests. Those tests by themselves are not really helpful,
not really necessary; they most certainly will not be useful to browser
(and CSS rendering engine) manufacturers.

A test that never fails, that never can fail, that is passed by old
browsers or buggy browsers is not an useful test, is not a worthy test.

-------

"
In addition to the property-specific values listed in their definitions,
all properties defined in this specification also accept the inherit
keyword as their property value.
"
http://www.w3.org/TR/css-writing-modes-3/#values

"
Name: writing-mode
(...)
Inherited: yes
"
http://www.w3.org/TR/css-writing-modes-3/#propdef-writing-mode

The same reasoning could and should also apply to properties that are
inherited by default and properties with the inherit reserved keyword
value. If a property value is inherited by default, then how is it
useful or worthy to test that same property with the 'inherit' keyword
as its value? It is not useful, not relevant. 'inherit' as a reserved
keyword value is worth testing and must be tested when a property value
is not inherited by default.

---------

One thing (there is another which I need to explain into a specific,
dedicated email) worth modifying in 12 inline-block-related tests:

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css-writing-modes-3_dev/nightly-unstable/html/block-flow-direction-01[1-6].htm

http://test.csswg.org/suites/css-writing-modes-3_dev/nightly-unstable/html/line-box-direction-01[1-6].htm

background-color should apply to the inline-block in all those 12 tests;
that way, I can often remove 1 declaration from the code; the
border-bottom declaration on the span can be safely removed.

Also, the inline-block in line-box-direction-011 should be wrapped into
a block container, just like block-flow-direction-011.

Gérard