Re: [css3-transitions] [css3-animations] API for testing transitions and animations

On Wed, 15 Feb 2012 16:41:57 +0100, Aryeh Gregor <ayg@aryeh.name> wrote:

> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 5:35 AM, Øyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com>
> wrote:
>> I should probably mention that I volunteered as owner of the Animations
>> testsuite a while back (since nobody else spoke up) [1], and that since
>> then, I have created about 150 tests (not submitted quite yet). Those
>> are
>> all automated via testharness.js (some using setTimeout, some using the
>> animation events, some neither), and can also be visually/manually
>> inspected
>> for a more thorough check (they don't have reference animations,
>> though).
>>
>> There seems to be no owner for Transitions yet, by the way [2].
>
> Are the tests somewhere public?  We wouldn't want to duplicate effort.
>  You can put them in an incoming/ directory if you don't want to
> officially submit them yet.

Not yet. I'll do what I can to get them shared as soon as possible.

>> Opera doesn't support requestAnimationFrame currently. I suppose this
>> makes
>> me biased as well, but I think it would be unfortunate if the W3C
>> testsuites
>> were to depend on proprietary features (as far as I know, current
>> implementations are all prefixed and the spec is at FPWD).
>
> It's not proprietary -- there's a spec, and it's in WD just like
> transitions/animations themselves.

Right. I meant that if prefixes are used, it's proprietary, strictly
speaking. And if they are not, then the tests would be dependent on
getting the other spec stable enough that prefixes can be dropped.

> Of course, if tests would use
> requestAnimationFrame, UAs that don't support it wouldn't be deemed to
> not support transitions/animations properly because of it.

Yes, which seems a bit unfortunate.

> Those tests would apply only to UAs that supported both
> transitions/animations and requestAnimationFrame.
>
> On Wed, Feb 15, 2012 at 5:59 AM, Øyvind Stenhaug <oyvinds@opera.com>
> wrote:
>> (At Opera we can handle regular reftests.)
>
> In a fashion that anyone can access, or only for internal Opera use?

Hm, well, we have internal systems for getting them tested.

--
Øyvind Stenhaug
Core Norway, Opera Software ASA