Re: Review of cursor-023.htm (CSS test: PNG cursor) (chapter 18)

On 07/03/2010 09:13 PM, "Gérard Talbot" wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20100701/html4/cursor-023.htm
>
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20100701/xhtml1/cursor-023.xht
>
> 1- "You should see another copy of the purple square "
>
> should be replaced with
>
> "You should see another copy of the cat image"

Fixed.

> 2- "This UA-defined rectangle should be based on the size of a typical
> cursor on the UA's operating system. If the resulting cursor size does
> not fit within this rectangle, the UA may proportionally scale the
> resulting cursor down until it fits within the rectangle."
> http://www.w3.org/TR/CSS21/ui.html#cursor-props
>
> so, there ought to be some kind of warning in the expected result of the
> testcase that such copy of the cat image may be rescaled, scaled down.
> The original support/cat.png is 98px wide by 99px high.

Fixed.

> 3- html { color: blue; font-size: 2em; cursor: url(support/cat.png),
> default; }
>
> I do not understand why style the root element in the testcase ...
> unless inheritance was specifically intended to be tested in that
> testcase.
>
> Why not just style the body element?

Why not style the root element? Testing the body element would also
test inheritance.

I *am* wondering if hixie intended for the test to say
   "Hover *anywhere* on this page"
i.e. to test also whether cursor applied to the root element applies
to the entire canvas, rather than only to the root element.

Ian, can you clarify your intention for this test?
   http://www.hixie.ch/tests/adhoc/css/ui/cursor/002.html

> 4- FWIW, (strange) Firefox 3.6.6 does not pass this
> 20100701/html4/cursor-023.htm test under Windows XP but will pass it
> under Linux KDE.
>
> (strange) Safari 5.0 under XP Pro passes this test
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20100701/html4/cursor-023.htm
> but fails this test
> http://www.hixie.ch/tests/adhoc/css/ui/cursor/002.html
>
> And no error reported in the respective consoles.

Hm, interesting. I converted the image to PNG when converting the
test for the CSS2.1 test suite. Maybe PNG is not a supported cursor
format on some systems, but GIF is. I've added a copy in GIF as a
fallback, please check if this solves the problem:
   http://test.csswg.org/source/contributors/hixie/submitted/css2.1/ui/cursor-023.xht

~fantasai