Re: [CSS 2.1] cases that do not pass in any browser

On Tue, Aug 3, 2010 at 12:34 AM, Arron Eicholz
<Arron.Eicholz@microsoft.com> wrote:

> I think we should just remove these cases, any objections?:
>
> (I plan to remove cases on 8/5 if there are no objections.)
[...]
> http://test.csswg.org/suites/css2.1/20100701/html4/margin-collapse-clear-005.htm
>
> Per spec, “Computing the clearance of an element on which 'clear' is set is
> done by first determining the hypothetical position of the element's top
> border edge within its parent block. This position is determined after the
> top margin of the element has been collapsed with previous adjacent margins
> (including the top margin of the parent block).” This means that we need to
> determine the hypothetical position of box C when it is collapsed with its
> parent. This causes it to be at the hypothetical position of 0 and, thus,
> requires it to be cleared.

C needs to be cleared, but then the clearance must satisfy the second
point at 9.5.2
"The amount necessary to make the sum of the following equal to the
distance to which these margins collapsed when the hypothetical
position was calculated..."
Now, the whole computation of clearance at 9.5.2 is (at the best)
unclear, and indeed issue 158 aims at making it better.
At the moment, I believe that a possible interpretation of current
spec makes this test case correct.

I strongly disagree removing this case.  Even if it would be deemed
incorrect, it would be better to correct it rather than removing it.
After all this case must have a unique correct rendering, and this
should not contradict the spec. So unless the spec are modified to say
that this case is undefined I would keep it, possibly modified.

Thanks,
Bruno

--
Bruno Fassino http://www.brunildo.org/test