Re: Cache control in trailers?

On Thu, 4 Feb 2021 at 11:05, Willy Tarreau <w@1wt.eu> wrote:

> On Thu, Feb 04, 2021 at 10:47:13AM +0100, Greg Wilkins wrote:
> >    I've not yet seen a proposal for using headers that
> >    addresses the problem of clients that don't know the new headers
> mistaking
> >    the 200 response as valid/complete.
>
> For me, pre-announcing cache-control in the headers was targetting this
> requirement: if you indicate the response is not cacheable until the
> final verdict, this is no more a problem.

If the mechanism is only intended to deal with cache-control, then that is
probably sufficient.
However, I think the use-case of discovering after committing a response
that the content is no longer going to be cacheable yet can be completed in
a way that is still a valid response for the one request is vanishingly
small.

Alternatively, if deferred cache-control is only an exemplar of a more
general mechanism to signal that metadata fields are
expected in the trailer, then I don't think it is sufficient.  Something
like the 3xx proposal feels safest to avoid accidental interpretation of a
200 response.

I know Mark's proposed scope was just cache-control, but it's probably
worthwhile at least considering if a more general solution is possible.

cheers

--
Greg Wilkins <gregw@webtide.com> CTO http://webtide.com