W3C home > Mailing lists > Public > www-ws-desc@w3.org > February 2004

Agenda, 5 February 2004 WS Desc telcon

From: Jonathan Marsh <jmarsh@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Feb 2004 07:51:50 -0800
Message-ID: <DF1BAFBC28DF694A823C9A8400E71EA2027F1452@RED-MSG-30.redmond.corp.microsoft.com>
To: <www-ws-desc@w3.org>

0.  Dial in information (members only) [.1]:

See the public WG page [.2] for pointers to current documents and other
information, and the private page [.3] for administrative matters.

If you have additions to the agenda, please email them to the WG list
before the start of the telcon.

[.1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ws-desc/2004Feb/0001.html
[.2] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/
[.3] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/admin

--------------------------------------------------------------------
Agenda

0.5 Welcome new member - Asir Vedamuthu replacing Lily Liu as
    webMethods alternate.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
1.  Assign scribe.  Lucky minute taker for this week is:
      Igor Sedukhin (fallbacks: Jeffrey Schlimmer, Prasad Yendluri, 
      Dietmar Gaertner, Umit Yalcinalp, Jacek Kopecky, 
      Jean-Jacques Moreau, Sanjiva Weerawarana, Youenn Fablet, 
      Youenn Fablet, David Orchard)

--------------------------------------------------------------------
2.  Approval of minutes:
  - Jan 22nd telcon ?
  - Jan 28-30 FTF [.2, .3, .4] and Summary [.5] defer approval till
    next week?

[.1] ?
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0010.html
[.3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0012.html
[.4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0011.html
[.5] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0013.html

--------------------------------------------------------------------
3.  Review of Action items [.1].
?         2003-09-18: Marsh to review the QA operational
                      guidelines.
DONE [.2] 2003-10-09: Bijan to look into message extensibility 
                      Issues (Appendix E, Jacek's review) wrt RDF data, 
                      and discuss with Jacek.
?         2003-11-04: Glen to write up rationale for removing headers 
                      (and?) proposal for a generic header-adding
                      property/feature.
?         2004-01-08: Pauld to write up examples of schemas for the
                      Primer.
RETIRE?   2004-01-15: Sanjiva to sketch out changes to abstract model
                      resulting from abstract faults proposal.
?         2004-01-28: Philippe and JMarsh will look at the ipr for 
                      test suite.
?         2004-01-28: Sanjiva to consistify the @name attributes.
?         2004-01-29: David Booth to suggest improvements to the 
                      spec clarifying "WSDL processor".
?         2004-01-30: DaveO to write up a proposal for augmenting 
                      schema information to enable versioned data.
?         2004-01-30: DavidO to write request to schema group to 
                      address the issue of schema not supporting 
                      ignoring extended content.
?         2004-01-30: Tom to write proposal on version attribute 
                      (modeled after schema's).
?         2004-01-30: Umit to write a proposal on @wsdlLocation
?         2004-01-30: Jonathan to investigate typo in last f2f 
                      meeting on _S_erviceType.
?         2004-01-30: Umit to forward a link/proposal on media 
                      types to the WG list
DONE [.3] 2004-01-30: Jonathan to add s/@message/@element/ on a 
                      teleconference agenda.
DONE [.3] 2004-01-30: Jonathan to add s/@messageReference/@label/ 
                      on a teleconference agenda.
?         2004-01-30: Issues list editor to retitle Issues 113 and 
                      91.
?         2004-01-30: Philippe to draft a note for the group around 
                      safe operations.

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/#actions
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0182.html
[.3] see below.

--------------------------------------------------------------------
4.  Administrivia
  a. Upcoming FTFs
     - March 4-5, Cannes-Mandelieu, France [.3]
       Joint session with the TAG?
  b. Web Architecture Document [.4, .5] review:
       Volunteers so far: Jacek, Bijan, Jonathan
  c. Extend telcon to 2 hours for Feb?

[.3] http://www.w3.org/2003/08/allgroupoverview.html
[.4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Dec/0029.html
[.5] http://www.w3.org/TR/2003/WD-webarch-20031209/

------------------------------------------------------------------
5.  Task Force Status.
 a. Properties and Features (dormant)
 b. Patterns (dormant)
 c. Attributes (dormant)
 d. QA & Testing
  - Response to comments on QA Spec Guidelines [.2]
  - Implement QA Operational guidelines? [.3]
 e. Joint TF on media type description.
  - mailing list [.4]

[.1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Sep/0023.html
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Sep/0074.html
[.3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Member/w3c-ws-desc/2003Sep/0023.html
[.4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0000.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
6.  New Issues.  Issues list [.1].
  - Marking operations as 'safe' (FTF) [.2]
  - Renaming @message (FTF) [.2]
  - Renaming @messageReference (FTF) [.2]
  - Renaming of wsoap:fault/@name and outfault/@name (FTF) [.2]
    (should indicate that it is a reference, not defining a name)
  - Is there something we can do to improve conformance on the 
    wire between WSDL-based agents? (FTF) [.2]
  - Operation name feature proposal (Umit) [.3]
  - Renaming the label of MEPs (Yaron) [.4, .2]
  - Broken resolution of NCNAME or QNAME (Yaron) [.5]
  - messageReference semantics on binding (Yaron) [.6]
  - Requiring all operations to be bound (Yaron) [.7]
    Might be reopening Issue 16.
  - Semantics of mandatory properties and features (Yaron) [.8]
  - Make messageReference mandatory (Yaron, request to reopen) [.9]
  - Confusion between binding and element names (Yaron) [.10]
  - WSDL Import/Include locations (Yaron, 3 separate issues) [.11]
  - Need async request/response HTTP binding (DaveO) [.12]
  - Treatment of optional extensions (DaveO) [.13]
  - Message attribute optional (DaveO) [.14]
  - Why aren't two input/output elements allowed to share the same
    @element value? (DaveO) [.15]
  - Proposal for adding Compositors (Umit+) [.16]
  - WSDL Specification readability (DaveO) [.17]
  - Add in-optional-out MEP (Yaron) [.18]

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0013.html 
[.3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0082.html
[.4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0112.html
[.5] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0113.html
[.6] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0114.html
[.7] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0115.html
[.8] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0116.html
[.9] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0117.html
[.10] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0118.html
[.11] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0119.html
[.12] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0135.html
[.13] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0136.html
[.14] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0138.html
[.15] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0139.html
[.16] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0153.html
[.17] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0160.html
[.18] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0166.html

Note that I am not treating the following threads as issues yet:
  - Second level xs:import (DaveO) [.19] 
  - Reuse faults by ref (Daveo) [.20]
I'm waiting for confirmation from DaveO that these are not just requests
for information, in the case of the former, or obsoleted by FTF
decisions, in the case of the latter.

[.19] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0137.html
[.20] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0140.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
7.  Summary of existing Part 1 and 2 issues. 
  - Issue #75 [.1] - Move to edtodo?
  - Issue #79 [.2]
    ACTION: David Booth to suggest improvements to the spec clarifying 
            "WSDL processor".
  - Issue #90 [.3] - Move to edtodo?
  - Issue #96 [.4]
    Jean-Jacques to re-present the concrete issue.
  - Issue #97 [.5]
    Awaiting proposal from Jacek.  Is this really an issue against 
    part 1?
  - Issue #98 [.6] - On agenda
  - Issue #104 [.7] - Some info from Bijan at FTF.  Awaiting final
    report from Jacek.
  - Issue #106 [.8] - Awaiting proposal from Jacek.  Is this really an
    issue against part 1?
  - Issue #108 [.9] - On agenda.
  - Issue #109 [.10] 
    Awaiting proposal from DaveO on augmenting schema
    Awaiting proposal from TomJ on version attribute.
  - Issue #111 [.11] - Close issue?  We substantially rejected
    DaveO's proposals at the FTF.
  - Issue #112 [.12] 
    Awaiting proposal from Glen for a header-adding feature.
  - Issue #113 [.13] - On agenda.

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x75
[.2] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x79
[.3] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x90
[.4] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x96
[.5] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x97
[.6] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x98
[.7] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x104
[.8] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x106
[.9] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x108
[.10] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x109
[.11] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x111
[.12] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x112
[.13] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x113

------------------------------------------------------------------ 
8.  WSDL 1.1 XML Schema Licensing terms.

[.1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0123.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
9.  Issue 108: properties and schema languages other than XSD [.1, .2]
  - Discuss requirements for a solution to this issue and recruit 
    a champion.

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x108
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0006.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
10. Issue 98: > 1 style per interface [.1]
      Options:
        a) Yes: Make @style an (unordered?) list of URIs.
        b) No: Close issue.

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x98

------------------------------------------------------------------
11. Issue 113: Jacek's proposal to remove style attribute 
    and handle this using normal extensibility. [.1]

[.1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0054.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
12. Issue #104: Appendix E cleanup [.1]
    Bijan's review [.2]

[.1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Sep/0136.html
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0182.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
13. Issue X: Operation Name feature proposal [.1]
      Mark Baker had some comments.

[.1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0082.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
14. Issue X: Is there something we can do to improve conformance 
    on the wire between WSDL-based agents?
  - Amy's scenario [.1]

[.1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0194.html

==================================================================
Following items pending additional input:
------------------------------------------------------------------
15. Renaming (will take up on 12 Feb)
  FTF produced proposals with general acclaim to rename the following
  constructs:
  - s/@message/@element/ 
  - s/@messageReference/@label/
  - s/A,B/IN,OUT/

[.1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0011.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
16. Headers at the abstract level [.1]
  - Headers as first-class citizens [.2]

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x112
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Feb/0004.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
17. Issue 32: Support for SOAP 1.1 [.1].
  - Awaiting announcement of updated charter.

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x32

------------------------------------------------------------------
18. Issue X: Versioning.
  - Use cases (DavidO) [.1]
  - Requirements (PaulD) [.2]
  Awaiting 3 DaveO actions, 1 TomJ action.

[.1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0070.html
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2004Jan/0076.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
19. Issue 64 [.1] Operations an HTTP verbs (Mark Baker) [.2, .3, .4]
  - Jacek's synthesis [.5].
  - Awaiting description from Philippe showing how properties or
    extensions can be used to annotate the WSDL with RESTful 
    properties.  Ask Mark for a definitive list of those properties 
    so we can consider how to associate them with property URIs or 
    namespaces.
  - Marking WSDL operations as "safe" (DaveO/TAG) [.6, .7]

[.1] http://www.w3.org/2002/ws/desc/2/06/issues.html#x64
[.2] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003May/0094.html
[.3] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Jan/0103.html
[.4] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Jan/0111.html
[.5] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Jul/0095.html
[.6] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Nov/0104.html
[.7] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003Dec/0021.html

------------------------------------------------------------------
20. Issue #106: Using RDF in WSDL [.1].
    Dependent upon RDF mapping first draft.

[.1] http://lists.w3.org/Archives/Public/www-ws-desc/2003May/0076.html
Received on Thursday, 5 February 2004 10:52:07 UTC

This archive was generated by hypermail 2.3.1 : Wednesday, 5 February 2014 07:15:02 UTC