D-AG004: Ensures platform independence

From: Abbie Barbir <abbieb@nortelnetworks.com>
Date: Tue, 12 Mar 2002 14:18:48 -0500
To: www-ws-arch@w3.org
Cc: "Abbie Barbir"<abbieb@nortelnetworks.com>

This message kicks off discussion on goal 4, "ensures platform independence
of web services"

Please comment on goal wording, success factors, relation to other goals,
etc.

The goal as stated
"
D-AG0004
ensures platform independence of web services components in a way that does
not preclude any programming model nor assume any particular mode of
communication between the individual components
"

--------------
I think that the goal as stated provides a nobel idea that software
designers would like to comply with. However, it seems to me that

1. A proper definition of the term components must be provided, where the
line would be drawn on where and how the platform idependence could be
achieved.

2. In addition, does plateform independence means the independence from the
actual operating system and/or programming language.

3. In order to be able not to preclude any programming model, what kind of
interface do we assume for web services components?

4. In order not to assume any mode of communications between the individual
components, how would data be exchanged (if need be ?)

Other issues:
-------------

5. Is this redundant with D-AG0003: is sufficiently extensible to allow for
future evolution of technology and of business goals

 when combined with D-AG0005:provides simplicity and ease-of-use that does
not impose high barriers to entry for users of web services

Critical success factors

How platform independence could be measured, verified and achieved? and who
will verify that?

cheers
abbie