RE: D-AG004: Ensures platform independence

Abbie,

I think you hit upon the mechanism to get some traction on a goal! I would like to comment
on the below discussion.

>Discussion -2:
>-------------------
>
>I really do think that the requirement of platform independence does contradict the above design goal.
>In my view designing for platform independence must be consistant with D-AG011. So in this regard, D-AG011
>can feed into D-AG004.

I still have concerns about goal 4 versus goal 11. For convenience:

AG0004: "ensures platform independence of web services components in a way that does not preclude
any programming model nor assume any particular mode of communication between the individual
components"

AG0011: "is consistent with the existing web and its heterogenous environment and distributed
architecture to the greatest extent possible"

My comments:

1. Goal AG0004 covers platform independence. How is this different from heterogeneous
environment language of goal AG0011? I still believe these are essentially 2 different wordings
for the same thing. So, I too believe there is no contradiction, just redundancy.

2. I think the central theme/desire of goal 4 is independence of programming models and independence of
communication modes. I think the goal is assuming that platform independence helps acheive this. However,
platform independence does not guarantee independent models or communications.

3. Platform independence is essentially the same concept as heterogeneous environment; and thus is a big
part of being 'consistent' with the existing web. Hence I think AG0004 should be re-written to focus on
independent programming models and independent communications.

Mike Mahan, Nokia