From: Abbie Barbir [mailto:abbieb@nortelnetworks.com]
Sent: Tue 3/19/2002 7:48 AM
To: michael.mahan@nokia.com; Austin.D@ic.grainger.com
Cc: www-ws-arch@w3.org; Christopher Ferris
Subject: RE: D-AG004: Ensures platform independence

 Mike and all,

 Per the last teleconference call D-AG004 is still open and must be closed by the next call.
 In this e-mail I attempt to close the issues regarding the design Goal.
 The goal as stated
 "
 D-AG0004
 ensures platform independence of web services components in a way that does not preclude any programming model nor assume any particular mode of communication between the individual components

 "

 In my original e-mail I have riased some issues regarding the goal, but unfortunatly I did not get good track.

 So here are my $.002,

 ------------------

 In order to ensure platform independence, we need the following:
 1. Adopt the use of platform independent languages such as JAVA.
 2. Have very well defined interfaces to web components that are general and could be invoked using appropriate protocols.
 3. Try to use XML and other markup techniques that ensures the ability to invoke web components using variaty of protocols.

 The design goal can coexist with D-AG0003: is sufficiently extensible and  with D-AG0005:provides simplicity and ease-of-use that does not impose high barriers to entry for users of web services. In my opnion, the appropriate designs for platform independence interfaces can help the above two stated golas.

 Furtheremore, Some issues were raised regarding the interdependecne of D-AG004 and D-AG011. Here D-AG011 is restated:

 CURRENT GOAL STATEMENT:
 Web Services are consistent with the existing web and its heterogenous environment and distributed architecture to the greatest extent possible.

 Discussion -2:
 -------------------

 I really do think that the requirement of platform independence does contradict the above design goal. In my view designing for platform independence must be consistant with D-AG011. So in this regard, D-AG011 can feed into D-AG004.

 Crtitical Success Factors:
 ----------------------------------

 The design goal can be achieved through the insistance on using platform independent development tools and languages such as XML and JAVA. The interfaces to web components must also be properly designed.

 Derived Requirements:
 1. Consistent definition of web components
 2. Good definition of web components Interfaces.
 3. Use XML based protocols for invoking the web components.

 Current Recommendation:
 The goal should stay as written

 cheers
 abbie