RDF API convergence? was Re: ANNOUNCE: RDF.NET

From: Dan Brickley <Daniel.Brickley@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 12:38:51 +0000 (GMT)
To: www-rdf-interest <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>

Very nice :-)

In the light of this and other implementation activities
recently announced on www-rdf-interest, I reckon the time is fast
approaching that we lock various RDF API implementors in a room and
only let them out when there's a common strawman API.

Whether that room is a full on W3C Working Group or just an RDF IG
spin-off mailing list a la www-rdf-logic remains to be
discussed. Compared to just a year ago, we have RDF implementions
a-plenty. What we don't know (yet) is how well they can be glued
together, what different assumptions have been made, and so on.

My inclination is to spawn a new mailing list, eg. www-rdf-api, with a
very specific focus: comparision of the existing RDF API proposals. A
couple of months ago I listed some of these at
http://www.w3.org/RDF/Interest/ though that list is clearly in need of
updating. The main RDF IG list is IMHO too busy a place for such a
discussion. While partitioning discussions is always hard, I reckon in
this case it would be worth it. As a concrete goal I suggest we aim to
produce something that might be publishable as a W3C Note, perhaps
feeding into future WG effort, perhaps simply acting as a useful
resource for RDF developers. I'm personally having a hard time
remembering the subtle differences between the different RDF APIs I
use. Documenting these (not that I'm volunteering!) would in itself be
hugely useful...

Opinions? (views from those with running code count double ;-)

Dan