RE: RDF API convergence? was Re: ANNOUNCE: RDF.NET

From: McBride, Brian <bwm@hplb.hpl.hp.com>
Date: Sun, 12 Nov 2000 10:44:23 -0000
To: "'alberto.reggiori@jrc.it'" <alberto.reggiori@jrc.it>, Seth Russell <seth@robustai.net>
Cc: www-rdf-interest <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
Alberto,

A good proposal - a comment on your first requirement:

> A list of requirements could be the following:
>
> - specified using IDL interfaces

There are two approaches to defining API's.  One is to define
a language independent API in an IDL and have multiple language
bindings.  This is the approach taken by DOM.

The other is to have a common programming model then
define an API for each language that best represents that
model in that language.  This is what JDom has done for Java
and is the basis for the approach I took with Jena.

I would like to suggest that the latter approach also be
considered.

Brian