Re: RDF API convergence? was Re: ANNOUNCE: RDF.NET

From: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 20:22:00 +0000
To: www-rdf-interest <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
>>>Seth Russell said:
> I think any discussion of a common API should begin with a clear (almost
> mathematical) understanding of what interoperable means.   Doesn't
> interoperable
> imply the following?
>
> Two RDF APIs are considered interoperable whenever:
> 1) System A writes statements in RDF
> 2) System B reads the statements from (1) and stores them in triples
> 3) System B writes the resultant triples from (1) back out in RDF
> 4) System A reads the statements from (3)
> 5) The triples in system A remain the same.

I see some requirements from this list by itself where A and B are
separate real systems, rather than separate concepts

* Between 1),2) and 3),4) you need a non-lossy triple encoding that handles
  such things as anonymous statements, aboutEach, aboutEachprefix rubbish

* That requires some agreement on how serialising anonymous resources
  is done, so that the genid:, var: things you see in the naive
  triple dumps can be interpreted.

* What is a statement?  What happens if it is a reified statement?
  Or both are present?  Discuss!

i.e. there is more work to do on the model and/or on conventions for
serialised models before interchanging without loosing things is
possible.

> [snip]

Dave