Re: RDF API convergence? was Re: ANNOUNCE: RDF.NET

From: Dave Beckett <dave.beckett@bristol.ac.uk>
Date: Sat, 11 Nov 2000 20:27:44 +0000
To: www-rdf-interest <www-rdf-interest@w3.org>
>>>Jason Diamond said:
> This is a good idea although I expect it'll be difficult to come to any sort
> of reconcilliation. There are some fundamental differences between the APIs
> created so far. There's push vs. pull parsers (SiRPAC vs. RDF.NET's
> RDFReader) and statement-centric vs. resource-centric frameworks (Sergey's
> RDF API vs. Jena).
> [...]

Push vs pull is tricky to do both but have been done on systems that
are widely installed (on Linux-en) - see libpng for handling the PNG
image format and Daniel Veillard's libxml that does both for XML.

The statement vs resource centric are just two ways of looking at the
same thing and can be resolved with a bit of glue.  It depends on
whether you take resources as 'attached' to a statement (and hence
model) or on their own.

Asking this another way - which of these interfaces are needed?  I
can imagine people could want them all.

Dave