RE: MathML-in-HTML5

This all sounds vaguely familiar. When MathML (and Mozilla) were new,
many of us argued for MathML support in Mozilla's HTML parser for many
of the same reasons I see here. We were told by the Mozilla chieftains
that this would only happen over their dead bodies and that XHTML was
the only way we were going to get MathML support. Perhaps it did take us
7 years to get IE to work with a XHTML+MathML but IE has also had a
solution for MathML embedded in HTML for even longer.

While Microsoft may have (nasty) business reasons for not supporting
XHTML, they may also have made the argument that the world wasn't ready
to change all their pages into XHTML just for some gain in "purity".
Sounds like some people on this list are coming around to that same
point of view.

So, as I posted a week ago, why not adopt the Microsoft convention for
embedding MathML (or any other XML language) in HTML? Minus the COM
class id stuff, of course. Basically, this would result in a simple
declaration of the embedded language's namespace. For the reasons stated
earlier, just <math> is not enough. At a minimum, it doesn't allow for
smooth transitions to new versions of MathML. Come on, Microsoft isn't
wrong all the time.

Paul Topping
Design Science