RE: MathML-in-HTML5

Hi.

While I'm on my interoperability theme, I thought it might be good to
post the full list of syntactic requirements for the IE extension
mechanism for XML islands in HTML.  There are four things required to
set a page up to render an XML island with an extension like MathPlayer:

1) On the html tag, you must declare a namespace prefix:  <html
xmlns:m="http://www.w3.org/1998/Math/MathML">

2) Before the first equation, you need to identify the extension
renderer via an OBJECT tag: <OBJECT CLASSID="..." ID="foo"</OBJECT>

3) Associate the extension with the prefix using a processing
instruction: <?IMPORT NAMESPACE="M" IMPLEMENTATION="foo" ?>

4) Use the namespace prfix on your math tags: <m:math>...</m:math>

I'm assuming that for backward compatibility, HTML5 will tolerate 2 & 3,
and what is under discussion is whether to tolerate 1&4.  Is this
correct?

--Robert

Robert Miner
Director, New Product Development

Design Science, Inc.
140 Pine Avenue, 4th Floor
Long Beach, California  90802
USA
Tel:  (651) 223-2883
Fax:  (651) 292-0014
robertm@dessci.com
www.dessci.com
~ Makers of MathType, MathFlow, MathPlayer, WebEQ, Equation Editor,
TexAide ~