Accept-Charset support

From: Alan Barrett/DUB/Lotus <Alan_Barrett/DUB/Lotus.LOTUSINT@crd.lotus.com>
Date: 4 Dec 96 16:00:13 EST
To: www-international <www-international@w3.org>
Cc: bobj <bobj@netscape.com>, wjs <wjs@netscape.com>, Chris Lilley <Chris.Lilley@sophia.inria.fr>, erik <erik@netscape.com>, Ed Batutis/CAM /Lotus <Ed_Batutis/CAM/Lotus@crd.lotus.com>
I would like to get agreement on a definite proposal of how WWW browser vendors
should request a server to send UTF-8.

Browser vendors are not keen to send a very long list of character sets
accepted due to the overhead. So I propose that the browser vendors pick one of
the following...

(1) If the user, though the UI, says they want to "Request Multi-Lingual
Documents" then the browser should send:-

Accept-Charset:UTF-8;q=1,*

However, I am worried that the Accept-Charset may not take a "*" wildcard
parameter. Does anyone know?

(2) This could be extended to include other charsets that the browser knows it
can process efficiently. E.g. if the browser is a Japanese localisation or the
user has chosen a Japanese Accept-Language then ShiftJIS could be included
after UTF-8 but with a lower q value. The browser could use Accepr-Charset to
request those Charsets that it can process most efficiently for each of its
Accept-Languages.

What do people think about this suggestion? Will it work for servers? I am
really keen to give servers a chance to return UTF-8. How do servers today
return UTF-8 when Accept-Charset is not generally being sent to them?

 Alan.