Re: Accept-Charset support

At 10:53 AM 12/20/96 -0800, Peter O.B. Mikes wrote:
> Please lets pin it down:
>
>1) I am using Navigator Version 3, as I said.
> I do not understand why you tell me to ask the guy's at Netscape.
> Some are listening in to this. Are THEY doing it wrong?
>2) Navigator has Document Encoding option (if I do not need it
>    why is it an user's option?)
> Perhaps Netscape folks can explain??
>3) Let's look at specific pages OK? This
>
>http://www.fee.vutbr.cz/Welcome.html.cz.CP852
> is supposed to be Czech. So. e.g. The  e caron  (in first line last
>words)
> ..v Brne^ looks like (scandinavian?) crossed o for either latin1 or 2.
> Do you get e-caron ?? - with what browser?

By looking at view/Doc Info you see that this page is written in code page
852.
e caron is at position D8. In Latin 1 D8 is O with slash, in Latin 2 D8 is
R caron. My Netscape V3 does not support CP832, so the character shows as
default as O with slash. Since I do have a Latin 2 font, switching to Latin
2 shows R caron.  Your system presumably does not have a Latin 2 font
installed.

I think that Navigator is at fault for ignoring the declared code set and
blindly displaying it in the user default setting (e.g. Latin 1) without at
least displaying a message saying that it does not understand the code set.
Better would be to understand CP852 and map it to the nearest installed font.

Tim

Tim Greenwood  Open Market Inc
617-949-7166   greenwood@openmarket.com