RE: Accept-Charset support

From: Chris Wendt <christw@MICROSOFT.com>
Date: Thu, 5 Dec 1996 16:53:48 -0800
To: "'garym@softshore.com.au'" <garym@softshore.com.au>, "'www-international@w3.org'" <www-international@w3.org>
Cc: "'Alan Barrett/DUB/Lotus'" <Alan_Barrett/DUB/Lotus.LOTUSINT@crd.lotus.com>
Re overhead quantification:

A "good" browser would need to send all or most of the charsets listed
in
ftp://ftp.isi.edu/in-notes/iana/assignments/character-sets

Easy to take all the names, concatenate them and measure the size.

I didn't do it but instead looked at the size of the IANA document
itself which is 44282 bytes.
Assuming the text contains 2/3 overhead, the accept-charset string would
be 14 KB, attached to every GET.
Not counting that the server would need to sort through them and find a
match with a server-side available document or conversion mechanism.