Re: Tone

From: Jonathan Chetwynd <j.chetwynd@btinternet.com>
Date: Thu, 27 Sep 2001 19:53:37 +0100
To: "Anne Pemberton" <apembert@erols.com>, "Charles McCathieNevile" <charles@w3.org>, "Wendy A Chisholm" <wendy@w3.org>
Cc: "WCAG WG" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
The proposed guideline:
>Please consider the spirit or tone that would introduce your content to
best effect?
>An inappropriate tone could alienate your audience. People in different
cultures have very different expectations.

So far we have:
Jonathan, Anne, David P and CharlesMcN have expressed opinions inclined
towards something like the proposal, and recognise that it represents a
change.
CharlesFM considers it a good recommendation, but perhaps unattainable in a
set of 'normative' guidelines.
Wendy and Judy appear to be querying whether the proposal is in earnest.

I don't have any record of other opinions.
What reason can there be for calling a halt to what is a very positive and
helpful guideline?

I'd be grateful for a further development of this proposal.
It may well need examples, or expansion.

jonathan chetwynd
IT teacher (LDD)
j.chetwynd@btinternet.com
http://www.peepo.com         "The first and still the best picture directory