RE: Tone

From: Charles F. Munat <chas@munat.com>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2001 15:33:24 -0700
To: "WCAG WG" <w3c-wai-gl@w3.org>
Jonathan Chetwynd:
> Proposed guideline:
> Please consider the spirit or tone that would introduce your
> content to best
> effect?
> An inappropriate tone could alienate your audience.
> People from different have very different expectations.

But is this related to accessibility or usability? Does the tone really
*prevent* access, or is it more of a "good idea if you don't want to upset
your audience"? And how on earth do we decide how to measure tone, or how
any given tone will be interpreted by the audience?

I agree that this would be a good recommendation were we building a site
devoted to accessibility/usability (as some have proposed), but in a set of
normative guidelines I just don't see how it will work.

Chas. Munat