Re: Browser and Technology Support [Was: Re: [w3c-wai-gl] <none>]

Thanks, Matt for saying it so succinctly. I've been following this thread
carefully, and wondered when someone was going to come to this conclusion
that scripts are "good for" folks with cognitive and other disabilities.
<grin> ....

Last weekend I downloaded a piece of software that builds Javascript for
instructional applications such as matching exercises, crossword puzzle,
and several read and answer styles. I'm trying it out by making various
exercises for my mother with dementia to help her remember some facts that
have been slipping from her ... you can see the "first attempt" by going to
http://www.erols.com/stevepem/Mom and clicking on Mom 101 .... it isn't
useful yet .... I need to get the characters to 14 point before Mom can see
them, larger is better ... when Mom gets to take her "course", it will may
be on a laptop with a small screen. [If you've a mind to help me with some
commands to change font and size and where to put them, I'd be grateful,
and so would my sisters -- ]  The software is called Hot Potatoes, and is
free to educators who put their output on the web .... but as it comes from
the download, it isn't "pretty" enough to use with students ....

 From what I've seen following the examples in the discussion, Javascript
has a great capacity for making the web more "user friendly" ... but the
problem seems to be in some assistive hardware that isn't able to handle
it. The alternatives seem scuzzy (as in your Grocer online example) ...
shut-ins who benefit from online grocery deliveries should have a smooth as
silk means of ordering .... many cognitively disabled person who are able
to live independently are not able to drive, so online grocery shopping is
a help, as it is to those who cannot carry loads when they get the stuff
home ....

 From what I've read, it seems the 'scripts are better than CGI in
providing interactivity, and the web can't wait until interactivity is
perfected for all, before it reaches out to those who are ready .... phone
calls to provide equivalent services for all as an extreme accommodation ....

                                                                 Anne

At 08:21 AM 9/26/01 -0700, Matt May wrote:
>  To a large audience of novice
>users (or, for example, those with cognitive disabilities), the best way to
>reach good usability in cases like mine is to require script. Which isn't to
>say that's not overdone fairly often, but there are logical cases to be made
>for sites who say, "we have made accommodations for ATs that support
>JavaScript and have it turned on."

Anne Pemberton
apembert@erols.com

http://www.erols.com/stevepem