RE: Tone

Chas,

         Just a thought .... but suppose we built the site for
accessibility/usability .... maybe using Williams recent thoughts ...
something that changes dynamically to respond to newly-known needs .... and
changes again as various user agents and authoring tools make such concerns
past tense ....

         And built the "carved in stone" guidelines from the dynamic
response to needs.

                                                 Anne

At 03:33 PM 9/26/01 -0700, Charles F. Munat wrote:
>Jonathan Chetwynd:
> > Proposed guideline:
> > Please consider the spirit or tone that would introduce your
> > content to best
> > effect?
> > An inappropriate tone could alienate your audience.
> > People from different have very different expectations.
>
>But is this related to accessibility or usability? Does the tone really
>*prevent* access, or is it more of a "good idea if you don't want to upset
>your audience"? And how on earth do we decide how to measure tone, or how
>any given tone will be interpreted by the audience?
>
>I agree that this would be a good recommendation were we building a site
>devoted to accessibility/usability (as some have proposed), but in a set of
>normative guidelines I just don't see how it will work.
>
>Chas. Munat

Anne Pemberton
apembert@erols.com

http://www.erols.com/stevepem