Re: Simplest and clearest...

Kynn, Al, Wendy, Chas and all,

         This is not a "final" example, but something to work with. We need
to ask the author to write clearly and simple as appropriate to the
content, as is appropriate for the widest audience, and as is appropriate
to the purpose of the site.

         Perhaps if we state all three in the checkpoint, it can keep any
one of them from becoming a "slippery slope" ...

"Write as clearly and simply as appropriate for the content, the widest
audience, and the purpose of the site."

                                                 Anne

At 06:09 PM 8/16/01 -0700, Kynn Bartlett wrote:
>At 06:23 PM 8/16/2001 , Al Gilman wrote:
> > >appropriate."  Alternate suggestion: "...for the site's audiences,
> > >known and anticipated."
> >
> >AG::
> >Known and anticipated is too small.  See reply to Anne re 'purpose' not
> >good to
> >substitute for 'content.'
>
>I was going to say that but it would have looked silly to argue with
>myself -- but this is the main reason that we do not want to make this
>say "audiences".
>
>But "content" is misplaced too.  "Content-centric" design is dangerous
>to accessibility.  We need to push for a shared "centrism"...the
>choice as to reading level is _not_ based only on the content, but
>also on the end user and the author.
>
>--Kynn
>
>--
>Kynn Bartlett <kynn@reef.com>
>Technical Developer Liaison
>Reef North America
>Accessibility - W3C - Integrator Network
>Tel +1 949-567-7006
>BUSINESS IS DYNAMIC. TAKE CONTROL.
>http://www.reef.com

Anne Pemberton