RE: The argument for |bugmode|

From: Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 14:03:37 -0700
To: Sander Tekelenburg <st@isoc.nl>, "public-html@w3.org" <public-html@w3.org>, "wri-talk@webrepair.org" <wri-talk@webrepair.org>

Sander Tekelenburg wrote:
>As I understand it, this is the situation:
>- Microsoft insists that authors expicitly opt-in to 'IE really standards
>mode'.

Yes.

>- Microsoft wants the switch for that to be something that others do not want
>(like doctype versioning for instance.)
>- If the switch doesn't get specced, Microsoft will 'spec' its own

No.  We will have our own proprietary, non-invalidating opt-in switch to "really standards as of IEn" mode.  (If there are no breaking changes, we don't need to worry about this.  That is unlikely to happen for quite a while.)

I want the HTML spec to have version - e.g. in DOCTYPE - because I 1) think it's insane to build a format with no version identifier, and 2) will opportunistically use this to automatically turn on any future opt-ins when such a version identifier becomes popular.

-Chris