Re: The argument for |bugmode|

From: Matthew Raymond <mattraymond@earthlink.net>
Date: Thu, 19 Apr 2007 23:07:17 -0400
To: Chris Wilson <Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com>

Chris Wilson wrote:
> Sander Tekelenburg wrote:
>> As I understand it, this is the situation:
>> - Microsoft insists that authors expicitly opt-in to 'IE really standards
>> mode'.
>
> Yes.

   Standards-compliant documents should never have to opt-in to being
rendered as standards-compliant documents. To force authors to do so is
a subversion of the standards process.

>> - Microsoft wants the switch for that to be something that others do not want
>> (like doctype versioning for instance.)
>> - If the switch doesn't get specced, Microsoft will 'spec' its own
>
> No.  We will have our own proprietary, non-invalidating opt-in switch to
> "really standards as of IEn" mode.

   This is even worse, because the switch, by being proprietary, would
be non-conformant, so a standards-conformant document would have to be
turned into a non-conformant document just to be rendered as a
standards-conformant document. If this happens, we should just rename it
Bizarro-HTML.