Re: Versioning and html[5]

On Mon, 16 Apr 2007 05:17:09 +0100, Chris Wilson
<Chris.Wilson@microsoft.com> wrote:

>> Kornel Lesinski writes:
>>> Many authors don't have slightest idea that there's something
>>> wrong with their code. This can be solved - make standard IE
>>> distribution warn about deprecated features and problems
>>> exposed by invalid code. [ ... ]
>
> Oh dear me.  I foresee a LOT of phone calls from my mom asking me about
> that one.

No, no, I wasn't thinking about warnings that are so alarming (I have a
mom too, y'know :)

What I had in mind is something similar to what IE has already for script
errors - an alert icon in the status-bar area. It would open window with
list of warnings only when clicked. Window could have explanation for
non-techie people and option to disable all such warnings (so you'd get at
most one phone call ;)

> It's not always that simple.  And if your requirement is that for every
> possible bug, we also implement code that can automatically detect when
> that bug might take effect and warn the user, we will get a lot fewer
> bugs fixed.

As I understand, you want to freeze all significant bugs for backwards
compatibility anyway (and bugs that can be fixed right away without
breaking content don't need warnings). So once you isolate code
responsible for the bug, can't you add warning to it?

--
regards, Kornel Lesinski