Re: Non-goal for HTML: A Graphics API

Murray Maloney wrote:

> At 10:34 AM 4/16/2007 -0700, Chris Wilson wrote:
>
>> T.V Raman [mailto:raman@google.com] wrote:
>> >If we're talking about HTML producing pixel perfect rendering,
>> >then I suggest it's time to press the reset button -- that was
>> >never HTML's goal, and nor should it ever become its goal.
>>
>> I agree, but then I don't think it's rational to put a graphics API
>> in the middle of the HTML spec.  (And actually, I'm kinda on the
>> fence - other than OS-native controls, I'm not sure if rendering
>> isn't de facto part of the spec anyway.  It's not like we could
>> decide that <div> should have a default margin of 2ems or anything.  :)
>

> HTML is not the place for a graphics API. This should be promoted to
> Design Principle.
Indeed, AFAIK, the definition of this spec is not the place to define
rendering details though I must admit that if a spec for this were
defined somewhere, maybe we would have a closer model of one page that
can be rendered more or less the same in all browsers. But that's a
horse with another color.

Besides, a question arises, will browser's developers follow rendering
details specs, if any?