Re: Formal definition of HTML5 (was Re: Version information)

At 14:49 PM 4/16/2007, David Dailey wrote:

 > This pixel-perfect discussion has left me a bit confused.

Ditto. Retracing steps now ... here's what I have so far:

Anne van Kesteren:

 > HTML5 defines an exact way to generate conforming documents in
 > prose and an exact way to interpret a resource with a text/html
 > MIME type (also in prose).

Chris Wilson:

 > Umm, I think "exact" is a very strong word for what the prose of
 > HTML5 does.

Ian Hickson:

 > Could you give any concrete examples of vagueness? I'd like to fix
 > any that are unintentional.

Chris Wilson:

 > <canvas>.  You've specified an entire immediate-mode graphics api,
 > more extensive in some ways than GDI, without describing the
 > parameters or giving rendering rules to get interoperable
 > pixel-perfect rendering.

Ian Hickson:

 > Could you be more specific? What parameters do you think should be
 > specified and which rendering rules do you think are needed to get
 > interoperable pixel-perfect rendering?

T.V Raman:

 > If we're talking about HTML producing pixel perfect rendering,
 > then I suggest it's time to press the reset button -- that was
 > never HTML's goal, and nor should it ever become its goal.

Chris Wilson:

 > I agree, but then I don't think it's rational to put a graphics
 > API in the middle of the HTML spec.

My takeaway thus far:

<canvas> should not define pixel-perfect rendering, nor does it.

--
Joe D'Andrea
www.joesapt.net