Re: Formal definition of HTML5 (was Re: Version information)

On Apr 13, 2007, at 23:14, Henrik Dvergsdal wrote:

> On 13. apr. 2007, at 11.50, Henri Sivonen wrote:
>
>> The schema (RELAX NG and Schematron) is an implementation detail.
>> It has no normative standing whatsoever (and, in my opinion,
>> should not have). Moreover, the schema *cannot* cover all (X)HTML5
>> conformance requirements.
>
> Can you elaborate on this please?
> (Or point me to somewhere where this is described)

http://hsivonen.iki.fi/thesis/html5-conformance-checker.xhtml#non-schema
http://hsivonen.iki.fi/thesis/html5-conformance-checker.xhtml#more-
non-schema

> What conformance requirements cannot be covered by the schema?

In general, anything that cannot be tested by seeing if a given
document tree can be derived in a regular tree grammar and that
cannot be tested by evaluating an XPath expression. The most
interesting example is table integrity.

--
Henri Sivonen
hsivonen@iki.fi