Re: Formal definition of HTML5 (was Re: Version information)

From: Anne van Kesteren <annevk@opera.com>
Date: Fri, 13 Apr 2007 11:53:24 +0200
To: "Henrik Dvergsdal" <henrik.dvergsdal@hibo.no>, public-html@w3.org

On Fri, 13 Apr 2007 11:41:42 +0200, Henrik Dvergsdal
<henrik.dvergsdal@hibo.no> wrote:
>>> How will the HTML5 language be formally defined?
>>
>> It's currently formally defined using English prose.
>
> But there will eventually be a formal language definition right? I mean
> - you cannot validate documents against english prose.

It's already being done:

   http://hsivonen.iki.fi/validator/html5/

Although it's called defining what is conforming, not defining what is
valid. As valid has some SGML / XML meaning that we don't want to confuse
it with.

> So - how will it be defined?

It already is defined, in English prose.

> And - is there a prototype definition out there?
>
> Sivonens validation service mentions a "prerelease schema".

That's an implementation detail.

--
Anne van Kesteren
<http://annevankesteren.nl/>